Dont buy the Sun.

Dont buy the Sun.
Hillsborough Justice campaign - Remember the 96.

Thursday 18 September 2008

Knees up Mother Brown

Having recently tried to call a close friend to see how their recent operation went, I am devastated to find their telephone line constantly engaged for the last two days. There could be numerous reasons for this, telephone gambling, for example, or perhaps a gossip line is being utilized while my friend recuperates, or perhaps the person is ordering pizza, but whatever the reason, I find an engaged tone something of a challenge. Sense, and the Red Haired Boffin, tell me to leave the call for fifteen minutes or so, in order to give the other parties time to clear.

Much to the bemusement of my partner, I adopt a completely different approach, repeatedly re-dialling without any pause. This is similar to channel surfing, I think. When channel surfing, it becomes obvious very quickly that the same old dross is on the goggle-box and nothing I can do will change the situation. This however does not prevent me cycling repeatedly through the channels, more to get a result than because I believe the tv will change its programming. They never do......and now to try that number one more time before bed...........

3 comments:

Grasshopper said...

Ah yes. I keep looking to see if someone stocked the fridge since the last time I opened the door and found nothing that I wanted to eat.

Grasshopper said...

Ah yes. I keep looking to see if someone stocked the fridge since the last time I opened the door and found nothing that I wanted to eat.

MJN said...

There is also a different version of the syndrome, the assiduous travel documents checkers (ATDC). This is the reverse version of my syndrome, where a person at an airport checks their travel documents every five seconds. RHB has this csyndrome. In this condition, the sufferer actually wants stasis, whereas with the phone-redialler, fridge checker or channel surfer, the patient desires, above all else, a change in condition.