Dont buy the Sun.

Dont buy the Sun.
Hillsborough Justice campaign - Remember the 96.

Tuesday 6 February 2007

First few days as lecturer at Hull

Well my first proper job in .... more years than I care to count. I've got a pension and everything. Although I got off to a bad start - vomiting in the bathroom at home most of the day would not be considered an auspicious beginning - everyone was very kind and understanding. I've just about finished with the admin stuff - filling out forms and such and expect to get paid wads and wads of cash at the end of the month (I wish). I was expecting to get thrown in at the deep-end based on all the stories I had heard in Canada but its seems to be very different here. I met with Head of the Department on Saturday (I didn't have to - but he was going to be away all this week). After I had blathered on about 'going to do this, going to do that ... etc etc for 5 minutes he turned to me and said "well we don't expect you to everything all at once, take your time, get settled in, if there is anything you need let me know. If you don't mind I would like you to help Johan (another lecturer) out with some of his teaching load with the 1st years. It won't be much and won't involve any preparation (16 hours effectively being a TA and some marking). Other than that your time is your own. I apologize that our induction is not very good and keep in mind if you don't know how to do something don't worry it will be our fault for not explaining things well." Oh joy ... its all very relaxed and I've already had some very enjoyable chats with some of the staff. I feel very comfortable in the department and I'm planning some collaborative projects already. All in all I'm very happy with the choice we made to come to Hull - although it is hard to be so far away from you all.

1 comment:

Grasshopper said...

"Your time is your own" - a magical phrase I am likely to hear only upon retirement...